Tuesday 26 February 2013

Driving. Someone has flashed the headlights at me.

What if someone flashes the headlights at me?

Perhaps having read the post on flashing headlights, you might be coming to the conclusion that flashing of headlights can cause as many problems as they solve, with potentially lethal consequences. So how should you respond to those who flash you?

The DSA manual 'Driving, the essential skills' offers sound advice. It states that before you act you should make sure that the signal is for you and that you understand its meaning.

It also suggests that you should ask yourself the following questions:

What's the other driver trying to tell me?
If I move, will it be safe?
Is the signal for me or another road user?
Am I causing a hold-up by staying where I am?
Is the other driver really signalling or were those headlights flashed accidentally?
I'd also like to suggest some questions of my own, namely.

Have I forgotten to turn my lights on?
Have I forgotten to turn my lights off?
Am I speeding?
With regard to the last one 'Am I speeding? ' Beware. if you warn others of a speed trap you could be prosecuted for obstructing the police in their duties (and of course, you shouldn't be speeding!).

Finally...

There are legitimate uses for flashing headlights.

For example flashing from dipped to full beam can warn of your presence on bends and at junctions after dark or to warn of hidden danger during daylight hours.

www.travis-drive.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Independent driving on the driving test

The independent driving part of the practical driving test The independent driving part of the practical driving test. Rather than g...